Senior Data Engineer
Location: Toronto, Montreal, Waterloo, Vancouver
What’s the opportunity?
We’re looking for an enthusiastic senior data engineer who’s excited by the opportunity of being at the forefront of machine learning technology, and data systems. As a Senior Data Engineer, you’ll be responsible for owning and delivering data systems to efficiently acquire, prepare, and process data for state-of-the-art AI solutions that we build at Borealis AI.
At Borealis AI, you’ll be joining a team that works directly with leading researchers in machine learning, has access to rich and massive datasets, and offers the computational resources to support ongoing development in areas such as reinforcement learning, unsupervised learning and computer vision. You can find out more about our research areas at borealisai.com.
Your responsibilities include:
- Keeping up with industry data architecture best practices and bringing applicable data technologies to bear on delivering results to the data stakeholders;
- Designing and building data systems for consumption by Borealis AI projects;
- Collaborating with research and business teams to model and deliver on their data needs;
- Serving as a technical mentor for data engineers
- Playing a role in engineering-wide discussions as a member of the engineering senior staff
You’re our ideal candidate if you:
- A Master degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or an equivalent experience with a focus on data systems. A PhD in Data Systems is an asset;
- 6+ years of software development experience (including co-op and internships) in a high-responsibility, minimal-supervision environment;
- 3+ year’s experience as a data architect or senior data engineer.
- Experience with writing modular, robust, scalable software in one of the major languages such as C++, Java, Python 3.x;
- Familiarity with the Unix command line and bash scripting;
- Strong experience of distributed computing frameworks (i.e. Spark, Hadoop) as well as SQL, NoSQL and graph databases;
- Familiarity to Deep Learning packages such as Tensorflow, Theano, Keras and PyTorch is an asset;
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices in for the full software development life cycle, including testing methods, coding standards, code reviews and source control management.
What’s in it for you?
- Become part of a team that thinks progressively and works collaboratively. We care about seeing each other reach full potential;
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock options where applicable;
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities;
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact from a local-to-global scale.
How to apply:
Please email your resume, Google Scholar (or equivalent), or GitHub (or equivalent) portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org and include where you heard about this opportunity.
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI, a RBC Institute for Research, is a curiosity-driven research centre dedicated to achieving state-of-the-art in machine learning. Established in 2016, and with labs in Toronto, Montreal, Waterloo and Vancouver, we support academic collaborations and partner with world-class research centres in artificial intelligence. With a focus on ethical AI that will help communities thrive, our machine learning scientists perform fundamental and applied research in areas such as reinforcement learning, natural language processing, deep learning, and unsupervised learning to solve ground-breaking problems in diverse fields.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.