What’s the opportunity?
Borealis AI is looking for a Research Director to lead their Montreal lab. The role includes directing a team of machine learning researchers and managing other research team leads with the goal of delivering AI-based products for the financial services industry. In addition, you will provide leadership and deliver on initiatives that improve the effectiveness of the entire research organization.
Your responsibilities include:
- Lead the Montreal office including responsibility for its overall operation and interactions with the larger Montreal AI community.
- To work with the Borealis AI business development team to identify viable artificial intelligence products that will add significant value to RBC stakeholders.
- To lead a team of machine learning researchers delivering cutting edge AI technology to support these products.
- To partner with Borealis AI’s product and engineering teams to ensure the seamless delivery of these products.
- To manage other research leads and provide guidance and support.
- To help recruit, mentor and retain a high-performing research team across Borealis AI.
- To join the Borealis AI research leadership team and shape the research organization as a whole and contribute to its overall performance.
You’re our ideal candidate if you have:
- A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a related technical field;
- -10 years of experience leading research teams in machine learning in a product-centric environment or equivalent;
- Broad research interests and detailed knowledge of cutting edge machine learning techniques across multiple areas;
- A track record of mentoring high-performance researchers;
- The ability to formulate and drive multiple research projects independently;
- Exceptional communication and leadership skills;
- A history of high quality academic publications (e.g., NeurIPS, CVPR, AISTATS, ICLR, ICML etc.) and community recognition for excellence;
What's in it for you?
- Become part of a team that thinks progressively and works collaboratively. We care about seeing each other reach full potential;
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock options where applicable;
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact from a local-to-global scale.
How to apply:
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include where you heard about this opportunity.
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI, a RBC Institute for Research, is a curiosity-driven research centre dedicated to achieving state-of-the-art in machine learning. Established in 2016, and with labs in Toronto, Montreal, Waterloo and Vancouver, we support academic collaborations and partner with world-class research centres in artificial intelligence. With a focus on ethical AI that will help communities thrive, our machine learning scientists perform fundamental and applied research in areas such as reinforcement learning, natural language processing, deep learning, and unsupervised learning to solve ground-breaking problems in diverse fields.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.