Location: Toronto, Waterloo, Vancouver, Montreal
Borealis AI is a team of researchers and developers dedicated to solving today’s leading problems in machine learning and artificial intelligence. Our researchers are dedicated to pushing the boundaries of theoretical and applied science, while our development team transforms state-of-the-art technologies and algorithms into impactful products with the potential to reach millions of people.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic scientists or software developer who’s excited by the opportunity of being at the forefront of applying machine learning technology to challenging problems. As a Research Engineer, you’ll be part of a collaborative team delivering AI projects end to end – everything from data pre-processing and exploration, to prototyping novel algorithmic solutions, to software implementations of machine learning-based products. You will function as a bridge between research and development teams to help extend research prototypes into implemented products.
At Borealis AI, you’ll be joining a team that works directly with leading researchers in machine learning, has access to rich and massive datasets, and offers the computational resources to support ongoing development in areas such as reinforcement learning, unsupervised learning and computer vision.
Your responsibilities include:
Building machine learning-based software solutions;
Collaborating with researchers to prototype machine-learning solutions rapidly;
Conducting comparisons to existing algorithms and baselines;
Reviewing, extending, and optimizing prototype solutions;
Collaborating with the engineering team to integrate algorithms into products;
Developing reusable internal tools to facilitate research prototyping; and
Supporting projects with thorough documentation, design decisions, and capabilities.
You’re our ideal candidate if you have:
- A master’s or PhD degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, economics or equivalent
- 2+ years of applied machine learning experience in a high-responsibility, minimal-supervision environment;
- Experience with writing modular, robust, scalable software in one of the major languages such as Python 3.x, C++, or Julia;
- Familiarity with the Unix command line and bash scripting;
- Experience in the following areas: deep learning, time series, monte carlo simulations, PDEs, derivative pricing;
- Experience with deep learning packages such as PyTorch, Keras, and Tensorflow;
- Exposure to distributed computing using CPUs and GPUs;
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including testing methods, coding standards, code reviews, and source control management; and
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative attitude.
What’s in it for you?
- Become part of a team that thinks progressively and works collaboratively. We care about seeing each other reach full potential;
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock options where applicable;
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities;
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact from a local-to-global scale.
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI, a RBC Institute for Research, is a curiosity-driven research centre dedicated to achieving state-of-the-art in machine learning. Established in 2016, and with labs in Toronto, Montreal, Waterloo and Vancouver, we support academic collaborations and partner with world-class research centres in artificial intelligence. With a focus on ethical AI that will help communities thrive, our machine learning scientists perform fundamental and applied research in areas such as reinforcement learning, natural language processing, deep learning, and unsupervised learning to solve ground-breaking problems in diverse fields.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request