Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Waterloo
What’s the opportunity?
Borealis AI is looking for a Research Director. The role includes directing a team of machine learning researchers and managing other research team leads with the goal of delivering AI-based products for the financial services industry. In addition, you will provide leadership and deliver on initiatives that improve the effectiveness of the entire research organization.
Your responsibilities include:
- To join the Borealis AI research leadership team and shape the research organization as a whole and contribute to its overall performance.
- To work with the Borealis AI business development team to identify viable artificial intelligence products that will add significant value to RBC stakeholders.
- To lead a team of machine learning researchers delivering cutting edge AI technology to support these products.
- To partner with Borealis AI’s product and engineering teams to ensure the seamless delivery of these products.
- To manage other research team leads and provide guidance and support.
- To help recruit, mentor and retain a high-performing research team across Borealis AI.
You’re our ideal candidate if you have:
- A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a related technical field;
- 10 years of experience leading research teams in machine learning in a product-centric environment or equivalent experience;
- A track record of successful people management including mentoring junior researchers and engineers, experienced high-performance researchers, and research managers;
- Experience delivering successful high-impact machine learning products
- Involvement across the research and development lifecycle, from prototyping to production, engaging with stakeholders to develop solutions that meet business needs;
- Broad research interests and detailed knowledge of cutting edge machine learning techniques across multiple areas;
- The ability to formulate and drive multiple research projects independently;
- Exceptional communication and leadership skills;
- A history of high quality academic publications (e.g., NeurIPS, CVPR, AISTATS, ICLR, ICML etc.) and community recognition for excellence;
What's in it for you?
- Become part of a team that thinks progressively and works collaboratively. We care about seeing each other reach full potential;
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock options where applicable;
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact from a local-to-global scale
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI, a RBC Institute for Research, is a research centre dedicated to achieving state-of-the-art in machine learning. Established in 2016, and with labs in Toronto, Montreal, Waterloo and Vancouver, we support academic collaborations and partner with world-class research centres in artificial intelligence. With a focus on ethical AI that will help communities thrive, our machine learning scientists perform fundamental and applied research in areas such as reinforcement learning, natural language processing, deep learning, and unsupervised learning to solve ground-breaking problems in diverse fields.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.